Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Halloween Craft: Dodecahedrons


I am so into the paper crafted dodecahedron. What's that you say? According to Wiki:
"In geometry, a dodecahedron is any polyhedron with twelve flat faces, but usually a regular dodecahedron is meant, which is one of the five Platonic solids. It is composed of 12 regular pentagonal faces, with three meeting at each vertex, and is represented by the Schläfli symbol."  Wikipedia: Dodecahedron
 Got that?

Do-deca-hedron

I had to cut-n-paste that definition and couldn't repeat it to save my life. Saying the word, dodecahedron, makes me giggle! It's just one crazy absurd word. Dodecahedron.

Math and geometry are, as they say, All Greek to Me!  I have a good friend, Lori D., who would be all over the math and geometry of the dodecahedron! She recently wrote, "I love finding new ways to talk about math." You guessed right, she is a math professor and pregnant times two (twins, don't ya know!) I'll leave the science of the shape to Lori and express my delight that Silhouette Online Store Design ID #21647 is the cut file to simply craft a dodecahedron from a single piece of paper. Genius! Thank you Samantha Walker for your design.

I used this design to make Halloween toys for the KeepHerKitty. One is orange, the other is purple. I used the polygon shape to cut pentagons from two-sided Halloween themed paper. Once the dodecahedron's were assembled with double sided tape I then affixed the polygon shapes in random order, one print to each of the twelve sides.

One dodecahedron holds a muslin sack of fresh catnip, the other holds one dozen loose jingle bells. I was certain this would amuse and captivate the KeepHerKitty. Well, not so much. The only time thus far that she has paid attention to her objects d'art was Sunday morning when I attempted to stage the photo shoot while the sunlight was just right.

For now I've placed the Halloween dodecahedrons on the open shelves of the dining room hutch. A wicked crow has taken to roosting upon one of these bewitching geometric shapes.

So this is a sneak peak at my Halloween decor of 2014. Stay tuned for the great Halloween reveal later this week! KeepHer is anxious to show you all about her tricked-out abode!  In the meantime, get out your Silhouette or other cutting tool and whip up a good ol'fashioned Halloween Dodecahedron! Dazzle all your geometric-phobic friends with your mathematical genius! I won't tell your secret if you don't tell mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My books on Amazon