Monday, October 13, 2014

Autumn Decor: Wall Wreath & Centerpiece

Confession: I'm not the most thrifty crafter and generally I buy new materials for each new project. I don't know if it is a lack of vision for repurposing or a fear of loss that comes from disassembling something old to make something new. But I wish to become more resourceful in my crafting, using what I have in newly imagined ways. That thinking is not only on trend, it is economical of wallet and resources.

So I was particularly proud of myself in making these two autumnal arrangements using last year's decorating materials in a new way.

The centerpiece is made of leaf stems pulled from a grapevine wreath and faux grapes from a bowl arrangement that no longer suited my taste. I added the raffia, bell pods, faux fruit, and yellow meadow larks from my new supplies this year. The tin tray is left-over from summer. It was a bubble gum pink, quite unsuitable to fall colors. I used Rust-Oleum Hammered spray paint in copper to give it a new look. The burlap liners are from an authentic coffee bean bag that I used for a western theme party several years ago. I like the fringed edges that lend rustic appeal to the arrangement.

This wall wreath is a take on the popular empty frame embellished for the season. Using the same Rust-Oleum spray paint I colored the frame copper. Then I affixed faux silk leaves to strands of raffia, tied together and fastened to the top of the frame. I added the burlap bow secured with floral wire and a short strand of the felt bunting I've used throughout my fall decorations. This hangs on the wall opposite the dining table so to compliment the centerpiece. 

This repurposing: It may become my new great thing! What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment

My books on Amazon