Thursday, September 4, 2014

Paper Crafting: Autumnal Shadow Box

Paper Crafting using my favorite: Silhouette Cameo Starter Kit Bundle

I think I'm hooked on making shadow box collages. This is my latest creation for autumnal display in the kitchen. KeepHer loves her catnaps best when she finds that perfect spot of sunshine, and here she is with her own little calico rug. The foil cardstock adds opulent elegance and lends the rich feel of autumn.  I browsed my Silhouette library and the online store to get a general idea of the cuts and layout and scribbled a rough draft. From there I let it evolve as I made the cuts and played with the paper. The swirl in the upper box is the cut from the cat's body - it was a lucky scrap that fit just right in the upper section. I still need to perfect my skill in making the box itself and look forward to the practice.

Happy Autumn Everyone!








I highly recommend Lori Whitlock's files and website tutorials. She is a talented designer and an inspired instructor. This is the description on the SVG file for the 3D three-spot shadow box in the Silhouette Online Store:

File ID#30613:  11.3x5.8 shadow box 3 equal openings by Lori Whitlock

"Are you ready for a simply adorable 3D project?? With this file you can create a 3D shadow box. This project will take 3.5 sheets of 12x12 cardstock and the final shadow box measures 11.3x5.8. This project CAN be scaled down to fit 8.5x11 cardstock. Embellish the shadow box as desired. Look for more of Lori's 3d Shadow Boxes in her portfolio. You will want to watch one of Lori's Shadow Box Tutorial that you can find at www.loriwhitlock.com (click on her YouTube channel). Enjoy!"


Materials:


  • Black cardstock 12x12-inch
  • Colored cardstock from the scrap file
  • Foil Cardstock by DCWV 6x6 Stack
  • Martha Stewart All Purpose Glue
  • Wool yarn in calico

Tools:



SVG Files purchased from the Silhouette Online Store:


  • Life is Good: Design ID#45061  by Sophie Gallo
  • Sleeping Cat: Design ID#64503 by Rivka Wilkins
  • Love the Fall: Design ID#49550 by Echo Park
  • Sunshine: Design ID#18853 by Echo Park
  • 3D Apples: A Snapdragon Snippet Design
  • Miscellaneous cuts including leaves, 3D flowers, butterflies

No comments:

Post a Comment

My books on Amazon