Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Gardening: Hanging Geraniums

I mentioned in an earlier post that I outdid myself with container gardens this year. Two of my favorites (okay - they are ALL my favorites) are the coco fiber lined hanging planters that hold magenta Martha Washington geraniums. These are hung under the eves on the east side of the garage where they get gobs of gorgeous morning sunshine and cool afternoon shade. They are also well protected from the infamous Wyoming wind and they thrive. I captured this image in the early morning light with my big Canon camera. The exquisite detail of the flower petals and fuzzy deep-node leaves make these container gardens true show stoppers. I have not had a problem with non-blooming on these two lovely ladies. I keep them indoors over winter and have had them since 2012.

 From one of my favorite gardening resources, GardenGuides.com:

"Martha Washington geraniums (Pelargonium domesticum) produce large, showy blooms in shades of pink, white, purple, red and yellow early in spring. Of all types of geraniums, Martha Washington is the most difficult to grow, and often won't bloom after the first spectacular display, especially if summer nighttime temperatures exceed 60 degrees Fahrenheit. For this reason, they work best as an indoor plant. Native to South Africa, they are also known as "lady geranium" or "regal geranium."

Read more: How to Care for Martha Washington Geraniums | Garden Guides

No comments:

Post a Comment

My books on Amazon